Search This Blog

Wednesday 12 October 2011

Let Your Light Shine

I am not a "feminist". I love men. I love being a woman.

But I am appalled recently by the displays of female insecurity I have witnessed, and continue to witness, in students, friends and colleagues. I am constantly in awe as I watch gorgeous intelligent wonderful women demean themselves and belittle their own greatness because of....what? Because you're afraid your man might like someone else more? Because you don't look like the ridiculously un-natural airbrushed version of beauty that's on all the billboards and in all the magazines?

As women, we have come a long way in our society. We are blessed to live in a free and peaceful country. However, I believe that healing our own self esteem and learning to love ourselves,just as we are, and let our own light shine, despite oppressive forces trying to dim that light, is the best and most fabulous thing we can do for ourselves and for other young women struggling to find their way. Regardless of how "uncomfortable" other people are in the presence of your confidence - let yourself be beautiful, happy, vibrant,powerful, intelligent AND creative. Who you are is exactly who you should be. Maybe instead of working towards unrealistic ideals we can work towards being absolutely fabulous and totally comfortable in our own skin - scars, quirks and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment