Search This Blog

Tuesday 31 May 2011

To Celebrate Life

To celebrate life is really just to celebrate for the sake of celebrating.

I try to do this at least once a year, regardless of what is going on in my life. Today marks the start of what has affectionately come to be known as the “Birthday Festival”. I love birthdays, because I love life. But it is my general feeling that expectations only lead to disappointment. So – why just have one day to try and cram in a bunch of activities, meals with loved ones, visitations? Why not just take the week – slow things down, lighten my schedule and savor some quality time with each of my friends, with the gorgeous summery weather, and with myself…. I’ve worked hard lately to make life a little simpler. I’m enjoying some down-time which feels a bit like the inevitable calm before the storm as I muddle my way through some very big decisions and some very important changes/transitions. While I’m not quite certain yet what the outcome will be of this time of transition, one thing I DO know is that I have been ready for change, ridiculously ready, for quite a while. It’s just deciding which road to take that’s got me all a-fluster.

So this years Birthday Festival kicked off with a much needed massage from Joanna Nicoletta at Advanced Health here in Fonthill (Thank you Dad!).
What an incredible therapist. This complicated lil’ body of mine has had A LOT of bodywork, and Joanna remains my absolute favorite pair of hands. Her clinic is located in the same building as our local flower shop (JJ Florists – another of my favorite places), and is just like a peaceful welcoming oasis when you step through the doors. Joanna’s fearless hands and incredible Presence creates release in me that isn’t just physical. I often feel like I’m lulled into a very sweet state of perfect surrender when she works on me. Her ability to relieve so much of my physical strain that comes from being active and managing complicated spinal issues, is often such a relief that I will sometimes cry, involuntarily, with the release. It’s sweet. Very sweet indeed. I feel like a million bucks.

So – Joanna – thank you. You, and the work you so selflessly do, are extraordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment